tax attorney

Is A CPA The Same Thing As A Tax Attorney?

Tax Attorney

If you are looking for tax help, then you are probably wondering if you should hire a CPA or a tax attorney. Both of these professionals will be able to answer your questions and offer assistance in the area of taxes. 

However, they differ in their areas of expertise and in what they can offer to you. Here at the Law Offices of Mary E. King, we want to help you tell the difference between these two professions so you can better determine which one is right for you. So here are some ways to figure out which one is best for you.

CPA vs Tax Attorney: What’s the Difference?

When it comes to taxes, a CPA is a good choice for you if you are a small business owner or an individual with a simple tax situation. A CPA is trained to understand the intricacies of the tax code, so they can help you understand your obligations and offer guidance. For example, as a CPA, they might answer questions about what deductions are available for your specific type of business or how to file your taxes as an individual.

A tax attorney is a better option if you want professional help with a complex or contested tax issue. Tax lawyers are experts in the field of tax law and will be able to advise you on whether you may be eligible for certain deductions and credits. For example, they may be able to help you dispute an IRS assessment and represent you in court.

Both CPAs and tax attorneys can help you, but it’s important to make sure the professional you hire understands your particular needs. If there’s one piece of advice we can give, it’s this: make sure the professional you hire is an expert in the field of tax law and that they have experience working on cases like yours.

Understanding Your Needs

You may be wondering what you need help with. If your tax returns are in order and you simply need to pay your taxes, then a CPA can help you. A tax attorney can also help if you have an audit or if you need to file for an extension. If you need help in filing and preparing your taxes and your returns, then a CPA is a great fit for your needs. 

Your CPA can offer assistance with all areas of tax filings and preparation. For example, a CPA can help make sure that all your deductions are in order and can also offer advice on how to file your taxes.

Consulting with Both Professionals

You can consult with both professionals to determine which one is best for you. A CPA will help you with tax planning, tax return preparation, and information on how to minimize your tax liability. They will also be able to offer advice on which deductions you may be eligible for. On the other hand, a tax attorney will be able to offer more in-depth advice and represent you in court if necessary.

What Is Included in the Services?

As you try to determine the best solution to your tax needs, it’s helpful to ask yourself what level of assistance you need. If you are looking to do your taxes, for example, then you might consider hiring a CPA. They will provide you with the manpower to complete your taxes and can help you with tax-related questions.

If you are looking to do a tax audit, then a tax attorney is the best choice. A tax attorney will offer an in-depth look at your tax history and what might happen if you don’t take any action. They can also provide you with advice on how to handle your taxes and what your options are. If you are looking for legal advice, then a tax attorney is the best choice because their expertise is in that area. 

Which One Should You Choose?

When deciding which professional to hire, you should consider the following:

1. The amount of time you have to devote to your taxes
2. The level of difficulty of your tax situation
3. Your budget

If you are looking for a tax professional and do not know how to choose, consider these questions:

How much time do you have to devote to your taxes?

Hiring a CPA may be better if you have a limited amount of time that you can spend on your taxes. A tax attorney will be able to provide help with more complicated situations that may take more time.

What is the level of difficulty of your tax situation?

A tax attorney will be able to provide additional advice for more complex situations. A CPA will be able to offer advice for less complicated situations.

What is your budget?

You’ll want to speak with both to determine which one is the more affordable option if you’re on a budget. How much each service costs ultimately depends on the complexity of your tax needs. Therefore, scheduling a consultation with both a CPA and tax attorney can help you figure out which one best suits your budget.

Contact the Law Offices of Mary King to Discuss Your Tax Needs

To request the services of the Law Offices of Mary King or to discuss your tax needs, please fill out our online contact form or call us directly at 941-906-7585.

The information in this blog post is for reference only and not legal advice. As such, you should not decide whether to contact a lawyer based on the information in this blog post. Moreover, there is no lawyer-client relationship resulting from this blog post, nor should any such relationship be implied. If you need legal counsel, please consult a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

Previous Post
What to Do If You Receive an Audit Notice from the IRS?
Next Post
Paying Penalties and Interest with the IRS

Related Posts